The Inventor Education Forum

Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  Eddie777 on Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 16:35

First topic message reminder :

I have 3 inventions that I already have non provisional patent applications filed for and I have prototypes for made for them too. All 3 of them have multiple applications. One is a winter apparell that can be used for winter sports and for work too. The second can be used for golfing, beach, pool, gym, and etc. The other can be used for cleaning. I need help and advice getting them licensed for royalties. These are my options let me know what you think:
1) I am thinking about paying the Inventors Assistance League about $900.00 per invention to create and mail out these flyers to companies in the hope that one of them will be interested in licensing my invention. At least IAL doesn't ask for a percentage of the royalties if my invention should get licensed. They just ask for the $900.00 flat fee. Does anyone know if the are reliable and legitimate? Has anyone had experience with them?
2) Inventor Agents they charge a fee and they want a percentage of your royalties, plus on top of that charge me a hefty fee to "evaluate" my invention. I don't know which one to trust and are reliable.
3) Go on the Shark Tank or Inventors USA and hope for the best.
4) Go on crowd sourcing site like Quirky, Edison Nation, or Genius Crowd, which for obvious reasons I prefer not to do.
5) Manufacture and distribute the invention myself, which I don't have the resources for, but I am willing to see if I can take out a loan with the SBA to get it done.
I want the best option where I will come out a winner. If anyone can help me in anyway, shape or for please let me know. The only reason that I came on this site was because the USPTO website pointed me in this direction, so I know that this is a good site to get help and answers from.

Thanks,
Eddie

Eddie777

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-12-29

Back to top Go down


Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  jstar on Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 20:20

Dear Eddie and Roger,
I know that some things you can do yourself like the ppa and the search. I went with an attorney because the research I have done pointed me in that direction. From my understanding if a provisional patent application or patent itself is written poorly, others can find a way around it and kind of steal your invention. That is the story I hear a lot. Before I contacted this firm I got in contact with past clients. All wrote back with really good things to say. Thanks for all the advice. I am definitely going to do some more homework. Wish me luck.

Jstar



jstar

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-01-04

Back to top Go down

Eddie

Post  jstar on Thu 10 Jan 2013 - 0:37

Dear Eddie,
I went on legalzoom to see what they had to offer. The prices are much lower but I think the service they provide isn't close to what I am getting. For example.. They say you will get a attorney OR agent. I don't really like that AGENT part. I want a lawyer. And a good one as a matter of fact. Also they say that they will present UP TO THREE other patents to support your patent. My search result ended in 9. My attorney told me that it makes it a stronger patent for me.Another thing is that they say they will write UP TO THREE pages or so. And make UP TO FIVE CLAIMS on your patent. What if you need more than three pages and more than five claims? If your idea is a paperclip and doesn't need too much writing, then I guess legalzoom would be an option. But if your invention is more complicated, then i suggest a lawyer.So I think you save money but at what cost? Again...... I'm no expert. I will let you know how it turns out for me. Let me know if you want my email at yahoo. Good luck bro.

Sincerely,
Jstar

jstar

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-01-04
Location : Long Island, New York

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  Eddie777 on Thu 10 Jan 2013 - 20:30

jstar wrote:Dear Eddie,
I went on legalzoom to see what they had to offer. The prices are much lower but I think the service they provide isn't close to what I am getting. For example.. They say you will get a attorney OR agent. I don't really like that AGENT part. I want a lawyer. And a good one as a matter of fact. Also they say that they will present UP TO THREE other patents to support your patent. My search result ended in 9. My attorney told me that it makes it a stronger patent for me.Another thing is that they say they will write UP TO THREE pages or so. And make UP TO FIVE CLAIMS on your patent. What if you need more than three pages and more than five claims? If your idea is a paperclip and doesn't need too much writing, then I guess legalzoom would be an option. But if your invention is more complicated, then i suggest a lawyer.So I think you save money but at what cost? Again...... I'm no expert. I will let you know how it turns out for me. Let me know if you want my email at yahoo. Good luck bro.

Sincerely,
Jstar

I contacted a law firm in NJ that was recommended by 2 of the invention clubs that Roger recommended and they are way cheaper than your current law firm maybe you should contact them. Their website is gearhartlaw.com

Eddie777

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-12-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  jstar on Fri 11 Jan 2013 - 1:40

Dear Eddie,
I checked out their website. Looks good. When I researched the firm I am using now, I contacted a couple of past clients and asked them how their experience was with the firm. A couple of them wrote back with really good reviews. I still talk to one inventor via email. I ask him for advice here and there. So I feel comfortable with this firm. Please try to reach out to some past clients and hear what they have to say. Good luck brother.

Jstar

jstar

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-01-04
Location : Long Island, New York

Back to top Go down

What's up Eddie!!

Post  jstar on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 14:31

Dear Eddie and Roger,
Haven't seen a lot of action on here so I figured I would "drop" a note. How is it going with your search for an attorney Eddie? Hope you found a good one. I am waiting for the patent pending on mine. I am setting up an appointment to get my prototype produced next week. I read that Lori Greiner from QVC and Shark Tank is supposed to be on invention radio soon. Definitely check that out. Well..... hope you guys are well.

Jstar

jstar

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-01-04
Location : Long Island, New York

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  Eddie777 on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 15:23

jstar wrote:Dear Eddie and Roger,
Haven't seen a lot of action on here so I figured I would "drop" a note. How is it going with your search for an attorney Eddie? Hope you found a good one. I am waiting for the patent pending on mine. I am setting up an appointment to get my prototype produced next week. I read that Lori Greiner from QVC and Shark Tank is supposed to be on invention radio soon. Definitely check that out. Well..... hope you guys are well.

Jstar

I am waiting for some of my prototypes to come in the mail. Still prototyping. Who is doing your prototypes for you? I am in the process of working on a second updated provisional patent application. Next month I plan to hire an attorney to do a thorough patent search for me.

Eddie777

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-12-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  jstar on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 17:25

Dear Eddie,
Good to hear you are in progress. I am also waiting for my prototype. I am getting my prototype produced using a 3D printer along with 3D animation to show how it works. I also have a connection to a developed production chain in China but I am not that far along. Can I ask why you filed two provisionals? And who is doing your prototype? Did you have anyone sign a NDA before showing them your concept?

Jstar

jstar

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-01-04
Location : Long Island, New York

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  Eddie777 on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 17:57

jstar wrote:Dear Eddie,
Good to hear you are in progress. I am also waiting for my prototype. I am getting my prototype produced using a 3D printer along with 3D animation to show how it works. I also have a connection to a developed production chain in China but I am not that far along. Can I ask why you filed two provisionals? And who is doing your prototype? Did you have anyone sign a NDA before showing them your concept?

Jstar

If I may ask who is doing your manfacturing in China? I am currently trying to line up a manufacturing company in China to manufacture my product for me. I am doing a second updated provisional patent application for my original provisional patent application because of accessories and etc. that I created after I filed the original provsional patent application. The prototypes are being done by an associate of mine and a tailor. I had people sign an NDA form after showing it to them because I didn't know about them before I showed it to them, but I have receipts, emails, and etc. that prove that I have been doing business with them since the beginning. I am making my attorney and anyone else that I show my invention to sign a NDA form from now on.

Eddie777

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-12-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  jstar on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 18:18

Dear Eddie,
The attorney you hire will most likely not sign the NDA. You shouldn't worry about the patent attorney disclosing information about your invention. I actually called the attorney you mentioned on one of your messages. Good info but don't be fooled. You have to weigh out your options. As for the manufacturer in China.... a buddy of mine works with them so I couldn't tell you any more info about that yet. Don't think that just receipts and emails will stand in court. And court costs are insane so NDAs save a lot of trouble and money. Jwc8016@yahoo.com is my email.

Jstar

jstar

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-01-04
Location : Long Island, New York

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  Eddie777 on Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 18:25

jstar wrote:Dear Eddie,
The attorney you hire will most likely not sign the NDA. You shouldn't worry about the patent attorney disclosing information about your invention. I actually called the attorney you mentioned on one of your messages. Good info but don't be fooled. You have to weigh out your options. As for the manufacturer in China.... a buddy of mine works with them so I couldn't tell you any more info about that yet. Don't think that just receipts and emails will stand in court. And court costs are insane so NDAs save a lot of trouble and money. Jwc8016@yahoo.com is my email.

Jstar

Don't worry all of my prototypers signed my NDA forms, so that will stand in court.

Eddie777

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-12-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  jstar on Fri 18 Jan 2013 - 17:40

Dear Eddie,
Where in N.Y. do you live? I found a great inventors group. Nassau/Suffolk inventors group. I am going to the first meeting this month.

jstar

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-01-04
Location : Long Island, New York

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Taking Inventions To Market

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum