The Inventor Education Forum

What NOT to write in a letter to a company you are trying to approach

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What NOT to write in a letter to a company you are trying to approach

Post  Roger Brown on Sat 26 Mar 2011 - 14:04

How you approach a company is very important and your attitude plays a large part in your success or failure. Below is a compilation letter I made up from excerpts from letters Inventors have shown me they sent to companies. They were wanting to know what they were doing wrong because they were either getting no response back or getting told No Thank You. Is this how your letters look? If it is you need to change what you are doing now. Because no company will want to work with the person that wrote this letter.

To Whom It May Concern

I have decided to give your company the privilege of being the first to carry my product. I choose your company because you have the largest market, and therefore can afford to pay me a higher royalty on the sales .I have shown this product to all of my family and friends and they said they would buy it. They said my product will destroy the others on the market and do away with all of your competition. They said your competition will be out of business within the first 6 months because everyone will be buying my product and not theirs. Once they are out of business it will make you the only game in town. Since your competition will be gone my idea will make your company millions, so I don’t see any issue with you paying an advance of $100,000 at the signing of my contract.
Attached you will find my licensing agreement and my advance contract. My divorce attorney said you should have no problem signing either of these agreements. He should have the patent search done soon. Which is really a waste of his time, since I know there is nothing else like it on the market. Today is Monday. I will be out of town Friday, so I need you to sign and get the agreements to me before then. You can FEDEX them to me.
Your company is only an hour away from my home which is great. That means I will be able to oversee the progress of my product and make sure you do it right. I will call you tomorrow at 2pm so be sure you are in your office. I hate calling and leaving messages.
Your company should be happy I found you and was willing to submit my idea to you. It is going to make us all millions!!.

Roger Brown

http://www.rogerbrown.net    http://www.looking2license.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What NOT to write in a letter to a company you are trying to approach

Post  Mark Reyland on Mon 28 Mar 2011 - 21:24

That's one heck of a letter Roger.... I don't see why every inventor doesn't use it. I know I would Smile

Mark
Mark Reyland
Admin

http://www.uiausa.org

Back to top Go down

Post  jstar on Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 18:04

WOW!! I'm finding hard to believe that this letter is real. "Please say it ain't so" lol

jstar

Back to top Go down

letter

Post  Roger Brown on Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 7:39

Jstar, unfortunately many Inventors send letters similar to the one above to companies and then don't understand why the company does not want to deal with them. Inventors need to take more time when approaching a company and try and do it as professionally as possible. You can be determined and passionate about getting to market, but being overly pushy and demanding does not open a lot of doors.
Roger Brown

http://www.rogerbrown.net    http://www.looking2license.com

Back to top Go down

Say it ain't so

Post  jstar on Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 10:29

Dear Roger,
I have to say that not only was the letter unprofessional but kind of disrespectful. What ever happened to manners? Anyway. I am bran new to the site and I love the way it is set up. Very good information from the field itself. I'm embarking on my first journey as we speak. I am waiting on results from a patent search. I do have a person that can make a prototype for me IF I get the green light on this project. I am also trying to put together a good sell sheet. Title, catchy phrase, short intro, couple of pictures showing how it works, what it does, the innovation itself and the various markets it could be in. I want to include some data but don't know what kind since I don't know how much the cost would be. Is there anything else I should be preparing? I do have a patent attorney doing the search. And just a quick little something for first time inventors like me.
" Just because you find out your invention has already been invented doesn't make it a failure. It actually PROVES to you that you have the mind of a great inventor. DON'T STOP NOW!"

jstar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top